Thursday, September 4, 2008

Dressing for an interview

I wanted to talk about a few of my pet peeves when I interview applicants….. I look at them and think “what the heck are you wearing?” (well not those exact words, but I don’t want to scare anyone off in the beginning) I know you might think that the days of wearing a dark suit to an interview are out, but as an interviewer, trust me when I tell you a little effort is appreciated!

Now what can you wear!

Well for an formal interview (first you need to find out about the company), you need to dress conservatively. I hate to state the obvious, but it is important to go in a suit and tie (for the guys) and either a skirt /pant suit (for the ladies) to any company that's part of a more formal industry, such as banking, law or brokerage. Choose a basic black, dark gray or navy suit. Also opt for black leather shoes - stiletto's - totally don't count!!

To a less formal company such as software development and technology companies will not require a suit. However, it's better to wear something a little nicer than what everyone in the office is wearing and please make sure it’s clean and pressed. A nice touch would be to throw on a blazer to complete the outfit and please adding a blazer to jeans does not mean you are dressing up for an interview.

It is not acceptable, no matter to what company or position you are applying for to wear jeans, shorts, capri’s, tank tops or t-shirts. I do not want to see your belly ring or the tattoo on you lower back, ankle, or boob. I really do not care how hot it is outside, if I make an effort to dress up to meet with you please have the same courtesy for me.

Last, but certainly not least, I do not want your cologne/perfume to linger (stink, is more like it) for days in my office, try skipping it on interview day or for some of you and you know who you are, a few days before the interview..

I will be back with more of my pet peeves… let me know what you think so far…..

Marina Mentor

No comments: